not for me to choose.
I know we've just recently started discussing Mountains, and perhaps I am speaking out of turn of something (don't know, never been in a book club before), but when will next month's book be announced?
I'm not the speediest reader (does anyone here remember the character Speed Reader from the TV show "The Great Space Coaster?") and it's nearly the middle of May.
BTW, I configured the email notification feature, so you should be receiving this via your inbox. If you don't want the extra clutter, let me know and I will take you off.
[edit by Peter]
I'm going to put my comments in line, rather than in the comments section, since I think things have a tendency to get lost when they have to be clicked-through to. And yes, I did just end that sentence with two prepositions; wanna make something of it?
The original post I made was that we would take turns, based on who responded to the most recent book, choosing the next book. I think the best way to do this is randomly (since that's pretty much the best way to do anything). Therefore, I'm now going to flip a four-sided coin to see if Glenn, Peter, Paul or Jesse gets the dubious distinction of choosing the next book. And the winner is...
Jesse!
So, the only book selection rule (and it's hardly a fast rule at this point) is that we want to alternate between fiction and non-fiction, and we want non-fiction to alternate between secular and religious material. So, if Jesse hasn't chosen something by the weekend, we'll fall back to a default position and solicit proposals from any interested party and try to anneal to some consensus.
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh, that's right, I almost forgot about the book club. I think email reminders are a very good idea. Of course, I guess I could have just subscribed to the RSS feed.
I'm not going to lie. I didn't read the last book. I know. Lots of fun comments, and I feel like I'm missing out. But what's done is done. And if I'm going to read the next book, I need to get started on it last week. So I'll second Glenn's request for an announcement of the next book.
Oh, and I'm pretty sure I don't get to choose, but if we're drawing blanks, I've got an idea.
that's cool, Karl. I never noticed the RSS feed for the blog. Does that catch the comments too?
I'm going to duplicate my front page comment here, so that anyone waiting for an email notification will get one.
I randomly selected between the people who posted about Mountains and came up with Jesse being on the hook to choose the next book. If Jesse doesn't choose something expeditiously, or declines the honor, maybe we can do a bit of group decision making this weekend.
Ok so I'm supposed to pick a fiction book then? I honestly can't think of the last fiction book I read...
I'm glad to decline and wait to take my turn on a non-fiction month...
These are some classics I've been wanting to read but have never got around to (listed in order of book clubbiness):
Clockwork Orange (skip part 1 if necessary)?
Slaughterhouse Five
The Chocolate War
A Yellow Raft in Blue Water
The Color Purple
Pere Goriot (Balzac)
Would anyone like any of these?
I tried reading Clockwork Orange once, but the graphic violence bothered me. I could try again, though.
I've wanted to read Color Purple and Chocolate War for awhile. I would be happy with either of those. I've never read Pere Goriot, but could be persuaded. The other two I've read previously, but that shouldn't bar us from reading them.
What was your suggestion, Karl?
Well, my idea was non-fiction, so that rules it out, but I was wanting to read Obama's memoir, "Dreams of my Father."
Of those listed, I think I'd prefer the Color Purple or the Slaughterhouse Five.
I recently read a review of The Third Policeman that has me intrigued in that book as well.
Post a Comment