"Who enjoys bingo, war, uno, obsessive uno, DJs, and jedi-ing puzzles of risks? Alvin! Going jedi pleases, and so jump on your not-actual gift (if you can open it). Best, PBJ."
Sorry for the ridiculousness, but it seriously took me forever to come up with something into which I could embed the cipher. I also checked my journal for what I thought of Alvin back in the day. Here's what I had to say:
"Alvin is quiet, humble, intelligent, active spiritual and a great example...He's a really great guy and I've learned a lot about stretching my limits and magnifying my calling from his challenges to do push-ups, read scriptures, sing hymns, etc. He's a wonderful roommate."
Happy birthday, Alvin. Hopefully you crack the code before the present itself arrives.

P.S.- Here are a few cipher parameters that will simplify the decoding process: I/IV/I.
2 comments:
Thanks, Peter, for the very nice birthday post. You are a good friend.
BUT...
1)It's not a particularly flattering picture of me. (little tiara on a BIG head)
2)Your "cipher parameters that will simplify the decoding process" have been completely useless.
I have your cipher written on a piece of paper on my counter, and every time I walk through I take a look at it hoping something new will come to me.
I've tried shifting the first letters of each word "I" space "IV" spaces and "I" space (A to B being one space forward). In fact, I wrote a program to shift the first letter of each word in every possible number forward and backward. Nada.
I googled I/IV/I and it comes up with a bunch of hits about chord progressions. If you subtract chords (-chord) in the search, there is an interesting article that involves philosophy and probability. I keep thinking it's some sort of 1 for 1 matching system, but I can't make that work.
Anyway, I have lots of comments I want to make about Complications (excellent book choice and post by Doug) and a few left over about last month's book, but Peter's "simple" puzzle is taking my free time for now.
I have not given up. I just hope Calvin didn't learn how to write riddles from you (see Peter's family blog link on the left).
A hint on the parameters: two are to extract the cipher from its embedding and one is to decode the cipher itself. Also the fact that I wrote them in Roman numerals was an oblique hint on the structure of the cipher.
You've still got time; the package is still not in the mail. I've been in bed most of the past week with the flu.
When I told Cami I was posting that picture, she said, "isn't there one that's a little less froofy?" I agree, but I also wanted something a little silly, so there it is.
Post a Comment