Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June Book--Alice

Based on the comments, I'm going to pick A Town Like Alice. Sorry Alvin--as a consolation, you could watch the 1950s movie on YouTube. There are a few things about the book that I feel I should disclose: the characters are rather flat; the second half is, I'm told, a little boring; and you should skim the end of chapter 7.

Homo Politicus http://www.amazon.com/Homo-Politicus-Strange-Tribes-Government/dp/0385517505 was tedious, politically biased, and felt like a tabloid Magazine featuring only ugly evil people. It reminded me, however, how much I like DC but dislike Potomac Man.

The Drunkard's Walk http://www.amazon.com/Drunkards-Walk-Randomness-Rules-Lives/dp/0375424040 felt like a well-written statistics primer until the last chapter, which was very interesting. It was interesting to have read this book prior to The Quants

The Nine http://www.amazon.com/Nine-Inside-Secret-World-Supreme/dp/0385516401#noop (ever so slightly dated Supreme Court expose, and though I've not read it, likely politically charged)

A Town Like Alice http://www.amazon.com/Town-Like-Alice-Nevil-Shute/dp/0345353749 (mostly fictional WWII story)

Right Ho, Jeeves http://www.amazon.com/Right-Ho-Jeeves-Audio-Editions/dp/1572704233/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275410088&sr=1-1
PG Wodehouse is one of the funniest people ever to have lived; Jeeves, I think, is best on audio book.

4 comments:

Tammy and Alvin said...

For what it's worth, my library has all of them on audio except for 'A Town Like Alice'.

The Homo Politicus cover reminded me of that video we made in University Park about BYU girls as if they were another species and Paul was the Crocodile Hunter, and then we all wore blue shirts with gelled hair to the awards ceremony.

Peter said...

Any would be fine, although at a guess I would most enjoy "A Town Like Alice." And not just because it's the only one Alvin can't get on audio book. Of the non-fiction, I'm most interested in Drunkard's Walk, mostly because I think (perhaps unfairly) that the political books will irk me (in that I'll be constantly watching for partisan bias).

karlrees said...

Count me in as favoring Alice. I'm not much in the mood for non-fiction. Plus, you may recall, I spent my mission in Australia.

Paul Lattin said...

Alice it is. I edited my post accordingly. Sorry for the extra emails/etc.