Saturday, July 17, 2010

Some Post-Alice Book Options

I'm expecting a few more posts on Paul's book, but as I'm next on the list, I thought I'd throw out some options. You can comment on the options as you share your Alice thoughts (or lack of Alice thoughts, like me.)

Since Paul has recommended choosing books we've already read (and I'm really hoping to get Peter's approval on one of my book choices (I'm 0 for 2 so far)), here are some of my favorite books from the past year:

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

For all of the runners out there or those who want to be inspired to run or just read about over-the-top runners.

The Nation Fiction, but there are some interesting religious and philosophical themes to discuss.

Hunger Games From a pure entertainment standpoint, this one is hard to beat. It's a bit violent in parts, as the story revolves around a futuristic gladitorial games with teenagers. Book three in this series comes out in August.

Outliers: The Story of Success
I like all of Malcolm Gladwell's stuff, but I think this is my favorite.

And if you want an option for one that I'm hoping to read, but haven't:
Who's Who in the Doctrine and Covenants I'm teaching seminary this year, and I could use all of your stories and insights.

3 comments:

Peter said...

I'd find any of those options enjoyable, although I have had very negative things to say about Gladwell in the past. Not that he doesn't write about very interesting subjects, but that he doesn't write the right things (or perhaps it's just not in the right way) about those very interesting subjects.

Glennjamen said...

I'm leaning towards one of the first two on your list, Alvin.

Tammy and Alvin said...

My official choice for the next book club book is 'The Nation'. Enjoy! (And go enjoy the other books as well, if you haven't read them.)