The first half of the book is spent "charting the history of science: with some commentary about religious implications. The latter half explores "modern" concepts and discoveries of math and logic as well as cosmology and biology. I really had to force myself through the early parts of the book, whereas the latter half seemed much more interesting.
This book isn't something on which to build a testimony, but it does present some interesting concepts and points out some important logic. The author writes "The purpose of this book is to defend the integrity of science." He must have the feeling that Richard Dawkins is a real threat to science; I sometimes had the feeling that the author's intended audience was Dawkins and other aggressive atheists. Personally, I don't worry about people like Dawkins. I enjoy science, but I don't lean upon it for testimony, and I don't expect to reference the Book of Mormon in any science publication.
A couple of things in the book that caught my attention:
page 17, Daniel Dennet claims that evolutionary psychology explains the development of consciousness and morality and there is no need for religion to tell us how to behave. I haven't read any of Mr. Dennet's writings, but I find it hard to believe that anyone can completely explain consciousness and morality. I am grateful for the guiding compass of the gospel and have wondered where atheists turn to for moral direction. It seems dangerous to have no source of right and wrong.
The book wasn't a powerful book for me, but there were a few interesting arguments.
Strong arguments with infinity concepts
Strong arguments with anthropic principle, IMMENSE probability & alternative universes. limited ability of anthropic principle to explain things such as dinosaur meteor
String arguments
limits of evolution (altruism)
limited ability
Goedel's theorems proving that we cannot know everything mathematical implies that we may not be able to know via science everything about our universe.
"Because of the assumption that God may well 'reside' outside the universe we inhabit, it stands to reason that the question of the existence of God may be one of those Goedel-like mathematical truths that will forever stay outside our sphere of knowledge."
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment