Peter, thanks for suggesting this book. I haven't found the video yet, but the story was entertaining and thought provoking.
In contrast to 3rd Policeman, I didn't enjoy the early part of the book. I too saw a part of myself in Tom Rath, his inward critical nature; once this was realized, or perhaps admitted, I enjoyed the book more, in part because I saw the transformation in Tom that occurred when he was honest to himself and others. The story is encouraging to me, in that I can conquer my flaws, and that honesty really is the best policy.
The Ralph Hopkins character reminds me of the Wizard of Oz, an almost mythical man that people rarely ever saw. Mr. Hopkins was instrumental in Tom's journey (realizing who he wanted to be), just like the Wizard was instrumental in Dorothy's.
I would agree with you, Peter, that people like Ralph Hopkins are catalysts in this world, speeding up progress. Edison may be an example of that. But there is also something admirable about being balanced and being content.
A couple of additional thoughts:
The book may also have been appropriately titled, "The Men in the Gray Flannel Suit." Yes, Tom was the only one in a gray flannel suit, but I think the function of the title is more than just to point out to us who the main character is, there was a meaning there. To me, the suit symbolized the corporate costume, and when the individual was in dress, he had to act as he thought he was supposed to act and say what he thought he was supposed to say.
I found it ironic that the committee Tom and Ralph were working on is a mental health committee. All of the characters seem to have some "issues."
I liked the intermittent flashbacks in the novel that gave us insight into the characters and helped us understand how they got to the where they were and became who they are. It reminded me of the flashbacks in lost.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment