After reading the first chapter of the Film Club and flipping randomly through the rest of the book, I was disappointed, but perhaps not surprised, at the content and attitude of the book; while I am glad the author has a relationship with his son that fosters open communication, I don't think he should be telling his son that it's OK to $@#% a girl as long as he doesn't get her pregnant. It shouldn't be difficult to find thought provoking books devoid of profanity and vulgarity, but this book and one other that I had tried to read last year (The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time) seemed determined to challenge that idea. So as much as I looked forward to discuss parenting styles, I am instead formally proposing Geraldine Brooks' first novel, Year of Wonders. I have already listened to the first chapter (the reader of the audio version does a wonderful job, Alvin) and am completely wrapped up in the beauty the author can paint from such a bleak point in history.
Enjoy.
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment