Saturday, August 30, 2008

I have an irrational fear of policemen

Policemen actually scare me, and the only reason is that I am afraid of getting arrested—I always slow down when passing a policeman regardless of my speed. These policemen did not scare me, but the book did a little.

Humor:

I loved the writing. I'm not sure what I got out of the book, though. Incidentally, I was reading some Douglas Adams at the same time and found them very different. For some reason, british humor is funnier to me in a british accent (even if it's just in my mind), and I also thought that TTP was funnier with an Irish accent. I don't claim that I have a very good understanding of either culture, but I feel more at ease with the English than the Irish. I don't particularly like Joyce (though I found the writing reminiscent), and haven't read any Beckett. but I liked this book, and hope to read more Nolan.

Moral:

I would say the moral is: don't waste your life. While de Selby was amusing, I felt sorry for the ___tagonist wasting his life's purpose, then killing the old man. I think that may be why in Hell he didn't know who he was—he'd wasted his mortal existence.

Crackpot theory?

I did like the boxes—I loved when the one policeman pretended to find the smallest box, but the other one knew he was faking.

The part of the book that I liked the best was the bicycles—that we loose our humanity to a machine (or anything really) by trading characteristics seems like an amusing exploration into the afterlife for the wicked.

I'm sure I'm just dense, but why is the third policeman important? Why not The Three Policemen?

No comments: