Thanks to those who cracked the cover on the State of Fear. I read (skimmed) it on the beach two years ago--definitely summer reading--I personally apologize for putting you through the misery of the novel itself. When I recommended it I assumed it would involve a good deal of skimming-I assumed most of you would have already known the Dan Browniness of the author. Hopefully none of you wasted to much time in two dimensional spaces (Third Policeman?), and you don't hate me for the FICTION I recommended.
Science
I understand that there is science behind the global warming. Most of it is a little beyond me, but I think that Alvin's request for clear, concise data is reasonable. Granted, it's a complex issue--I'm sure we'll learn more as time goes by. (This R. Feynman clip is so true about science).
Global Warming
Alvin, Peter, Glenn, and others--loved the comments. Elliot and others: I hope you'll expound on your dis. While I'm hesitant to spend a lot more time looking into it myself, I would love to hear more as Alvin mentioned, from those on the less heretical side of the spectrum--i.e. those who believe "that the Global Climate Models accurately project the effects of increased greenhouse gases" and that "the costs associated with limiting greenhouse gas emissions are worth the benefits".
Write your Senator
Regardless of what it does to the global temperature, the time to get America off dirty fuel is now. America is addicted to oil, and we cannot reduce production of oil in the next 10 years without adversely affecting our economy. Furthermore, we have LOTS of coal, which, as Peter pointed out, is dirtier than oil. So while the Tesla is way cool, we need NOW to build the systems to make it possible. Unless we prepare to use more nuclear power, or improve our electricity storage (for wind/solar), we are going to be using oil (we're not running out) and coal. I know this sounds preachy, but our nation needs to:
1. Develop more nuclear power plants.
2. Improve our infrastructure (mass transit, hydrogen fuel cells).
These can all involve private investment to some degree.
No comments:
Post a Comment