Monday, August 25, 2008

The Infinity Policeman

I initially posted this as a comment to Karl's post, but I thought it was long enough to be awarded its own spot on the blog.


I really enjoyed the first couple of chapters. The authors use of words amazed me; great metaphors and similes. To paraphrase one of my favorites from the book ... friendly and comforting like the pockets of an old suit. He combined words that I never would have thought of putting next to one another. It reminded me of Ratatouille, where Remy the rat is able to combine foods in such a unique and perfect way. But my attitude towards the book began to change when I started into the chapter that contained the box within the box within the box etc., ... it was oddly unsettling, as was nearly everything the 2nd policeman said. The book became more interesting, or at least enjoyable, as I spent less time dwelling upon the dialogue and focused more on the story.

First, what'd you think of the humor?
I enjoy British humor, in fact I was thinking of proposing Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency as the book for October, but 3rd Policeman seemed to contain silliness more than the wittiness that I associate with the Brits, though there were a few good play-on-words.

If you had to say, succinctly, the moral of the story, what would it be?
don't be amoral.

Okay. Elaborate.
You sow what you reap. The punishment fits the crime.
In a way, it's similar to what I believe; there is not one heaven and one hell. The gradation in the degrees of glory is just and appropriate to what individuals have obtained and can endure.

What was your favorite crackpot theory of the book?
The version of the book that I picked up from the library was a compilation of the complete writings of "Flann O'Brien," so when I saw the footnotes, I assumed that they were written by an editor. When I read about the amazing waterbox, I got curious and googled "De Selby waterbox." Imagine my embarrasment when I realized I had been duped. So, I guess De Selby's obsession with water and his theory of diluting it is strongest in my memory.

Lastly, what was your favorite "image" of the book?
Probably the image of the third policeman's suggestion of what the narrator could buy with the contents of the black box, a room filled with jam (though it would necessitate a neighboring room filled with crunchy peanut butter).

So, what do you think this book has to do with the show LOST?

3 comments:

karlrees said...

I was going to throw out a Lost question, but I wasnt't sure how many people here followed Lost.

I think the measurements correspond to pressing the button. The journey to the underground station reminded me of the journey to the cabin. The black box reminded me, of course, of the black box.

But I found this book less insightful than I the producers of Lost implied. Maybe I've just lost brain cells or something.

All I know for sure is we better not find out that the entire show is about somebody being in hell.

Glennjamen said...

Yeah, I can see those similarities. Also, the recurrent appearance of "dead" characters, the relative passage of time, an environment where pretty much anything wild and crazy can happen.

Glennjamen said...

Trying to dig up some additional topics for discussion on policeman book.

I remember hearing about a report from the Pew Research Center on religious beliefs, so I looked at it (http://religions.pewforum.org/reports#) and found that 74% of the people surveyed believe in heaven. Yet, only 59% believe in a hell. Interestingly, Mormons were most likely to believe in heaven (95%). I bet the numbers would be different if they would have asked these same people after they had read this book.

OK, I think I need to stop blogging and start doing some homework.