Monday, August 25, 2008

Lost vs. The Third Policeman

I am not a particularly fast reader, and most of my "reading" these days is actually "listening". Unfortunately, this book club has a pattern of choosing books that are difficult to obtain in print and not available at all in audio. Frankly, I'm not even sure how an audio book of The Third Policeman would work, given all of the footnotes. Anyway, by the time I got the book, the month was half over, and not surprisingly, I haven't finished it. Plus, my book is due tomorrow, and I can't renew it because someone else has a hold request on it.

Besides my slow reading, the main reason I haven't finished the book is, coincidentally, because of "Lost". Just this month I borrowed Season 1 from my brother. Thus, every time I've had some free moments and had to choose how to entertain myself, I've chosen Lost (and some Olympics) over The Third Policeman. (You'd do the same in my shoes, right Karl?) We're only about 2/3 of the way through Season 1, so the previous comments here didn't make much sense. But maybe in a year, I'll have caught up enough that we can have a good Lost discussion in this forum (and not before then (though if the series has a disappointing ending let me know so I can save myself some time)).

As for the parts that I read (about 3 and a half chapters), I enjoyed them, even if it didn't get me hooked. I didn't find it quite as funny as the Hitchhikers series (though it's been 15 years since I read those) and it's a bit darker, but I can see the comparison. I guess I enjoy British humor, though I don't seem to be as big as a fan as some people I know. For example, some friends at church were going on and on about Jeeves and Wooster, and I watched the first episode and enjoyed it but didn't think it lived up to the hype. The running DeSelby interjections/footnotes/commentary were my favorite parts. Under better conditions, I might have enjoyed the whole thing.

2 comments:

Paul Lattin said...

Alvin: you have to read/listen P.G. Wodehouse--it is better than the BBC Jeeves and Wooster--some are also better than others.

Paul Lattin said...

Alvin: you have to read/listen P.G. Wodehouse--it is better than the BBC Jeeves and Wooster--some are also better than others.