This was a good book, and it had all of the elements (dramatic setting, likable characters, good writing) to have been a truly great book. Unfortunately, the author made what I felt were some poor choices with the characters and plot lines, as you'll see from my answers to Glenn's questions.
- What lesson(s) are to be learned from this book?
2. why do we isolate ourselves
I was disappointed that the book didn't do more to explore the motives and problems with the agreement to isolate themselves. It seemed like that was the premise of the whole book (from reading the back), but the decision to isolate themselves was quickly dismissed as not a big deal for anyone besides the rich family because no one else had anywhere to go.3. freedom lost with marriage?
In my experience, freedom isn't lost with marriage. It's lost with children. Not that I regret having children, but I think they restrict what I can and can't do much more than my wife.This was all part of the feminist angle of this book. Not only does the male turn out to secretly be a scumbag, but Anna is a superwoman. The 17th century peasant woman goes from illiterate to being able to read Latin and turns out to have an incredible gift for description (as all of the lovely description is part of a 1st person narrative). Then she becomes an expert in alternative medicine, mines lead, delivers babies, rides off on a horse, travels the world, and successfully raises a child while having a career as a medical researcher. Year of wonders indeed!
4. How did your view of the rector change after you learned the secrets of his marriage?
I was disappointed in his sudden loss of faith and the quickness with which he began to go against everything he had believed in, but I don't think the secrets of his marriage made me think less of him. While I didn't agree with his approach of withholding his love from Elinor to help her repent from her sins, it showed remarkable self-discipline and ability to do what he thought was right. It showed that God was more important to him (at least in how he portrayed himself to his wife) than his love/desire for his wife. While the plague and the loss of his wife would obviously have been devastating, he did just have a spiritual experience, as he believed God told him to burn everything to get rid of the plague. As the rector was based on a historical character that was by all accounts completely good and virtuous, I thought it was unfortunate that he lost his faith and virtue in the end of the fictional account.5. why do some trials seem to erode faith in some people and build faith for others?
I thought this was the most interesting theme. Some of the villagers became more superstitious and believing in witchcraft, while others sought answers in self-flagellation. I imagined all of these scenarios being likely and plausible in an uneducated 17th century town. I was OK with Anna's decision to believe in science instead of religion. Again, I guess I just didn't like that the pastor went astray. Thus, the book didn't portray a single rational person increasing in faith because of tragedy (as with the early Saints) but assumed that tragedy of the magnitude of the plague would erode the faith of all rational people. Life is a refiner's fire. It will weed out the weak and make the strong even stronger.
6. what are your thoughts about the mental and spiritual unravelling of the village over the course of the year
I liked the variety of reactions to the plague, and I thought this was well done.
7. what do you say to those who are mourning?
Tough to give a general answer to a personal question. Glenn, I would love to hear your wife's comments if she has some insight on the subject.
8. why the epilogue? The story would have ended well for me with her galloping away from the village on the horse.
I went to Amazon to read some reviews, as I was having trouble remembering everything that had happened in the book. (I'm only 30 and can't remember a book for a month. This is bad.) Lots of reviewers had issues with the ending of the book.
In summary, I enjoyed the book, and it gave me lots of things to ponder. However, it pushed the feminist, anti-religion angle just a bit too hard to be a great book.
No comments:
Post a Comment