Friday, November 14, 2008

The Proper Role of Government

Admittedly, I am shocked to discover that several of you have drifted toward the political left.  I've been impressed at your attempts to justify your positions and with the respect with which you all appear to be treating each other.  Like Jefferson and Adams, we all have the same end goals and we recognize that we all learn more by the open and friendly debate than if we all came to the table with the exact same perspectives. 

I posted on my own blog the full text of Ezra Taft Benson's essay "The Proper Role of Government" and I highlighted the points that I thought most powerful (well, that most powerfully supported my position anyway).  I'd invite you all to read it and let's discuss.  

I do not hide in the coat-tails of his ethos as a former president of our church to say that I am right and you are wrong. This essay was given as his opinion, not as doctrine nor a church position. So, by all means, if you disagree with something he said in this essay, you won't go to hell by questioning it.

No comments: