Friday, December 19, 2008

The Next Book

Before I wrap up the discussion on The Omnivore's Dilemma, I want to encourage someone to choose the next book for the book club. If we were sticking with the old rotation, it would be Jesse's turn, but I'm sure whoever volunteers first could have the job. Peter, are you going to publish a new schedule? I need some direction in my reading. I have enjoyed the book discussion so far and really want to see it continue.

My thoughts on Peter and Glenn's posts:
Peter, I'm sorry you disliked my book choice once again and for similar reasons. While I hadn't read the book beforehand to recognize the similarity, I'll try for a completely new genre next time. As for your whole wheat, sugar and preservatives diet, my 1 and a half year old, Henry, would agree with that, as he would eat Life cereal for all three meals if he could. Though we consume a lot of milk and cheese in our house, which I suppose comes from corn fed cows. I'm suspicious of your claim that we could immediately go off of petro-chemicals, but it would certainly be interesting to try.

Glenn, for some reason I didn't realize you were such an expert in this field. The book made me feel, or at least tried to, like I hadn't sufficiently lived if I'd never killed my own meal, so since you have slayed chickens with your own hands, I admire you. Your thought about animals hiding pain was insightful. Your comment about "Eating's not a bad way to get to know a place." made me think of the black beans and eggs I had for every breakfast and dinner for 2 years in Guatemala. I remember asking an 80+ year old member what his perfect meal was, and he said if he could have anything it would be black beans and eggs. Our culture and, more importantly, us as parents, are imprinting on our kids desires that will stick with them all their lives.

No comments: