I'm sure Alvin is reveling in March Madness, despite BYU's early exit. Are there other college basketball fans among us? I'm at best a passive consumer of the NCAA tournament, prefering to focus on preseason baseball (18 days until opening day! hot dog!)
Anyway, I saw this news article on an Irani journalist who killed himself (or was killed? who knows) inside Evin prison recently. It reminded me that we're middle of the month and no discussion of our book. I know Jesse's been very busy (how did that deal with the contractor work out, BTW?), so I'm willing to cut a little slack. But I'm still really interested in having the discussion; I liked My Life as a Traitor a lot, and I'm interested in people's thoughts.
So anyway, since we haven't had a "meeting" yet in March, and since East of Eden is, you know, LONG... I propose we just push the April discussion of East of Eden to May, and shove everyone back a month. Everyone okay with that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Mmmm, ballpark franks. I just vote on the NCAA tournament for office pools (I'm losing again this year). Other than that, I don't become interested in sports for the year until opening day either.
I actually didn't enjoy reading the book that much. The story is interesting and discussion-worthy, but the writing style interfered with my ability to appreciate the story. If not amateurish, it seemed at least pre-mature, as in a little more real-life as opposed to book-based exposure to Western culture would have better helped her achieve her apparent goal of communicating her story to a Western audience. But I'll save further discussion for a full review.
Has anyone been able to find out more information on the author's post-Evin history? Or the post-Evin history of some of the other characters in the story? That would be interesting.
I'm okay with pushing out the East of Eden discussion, since I only just now finished Part I.
For some reason I had my comments on Life as a Traitor ready at the end of February and they are sitting in this blog unpublished as yet waiting for Jesse to post first. I am just a few chapters into East of Eden and I'm really enjoying it. The time push would be great!
Post a Comment