It was better than I expected, though I was a little underwhelmed by her experience in prison. I might be softer than I think and break as Zarah did, but I honestly feel that I could endure the torture she describes. I could defy them if they handed me personal physical or psychological torture, but if those same threats were directed toward family or friends, I would fold much more quickly.
For me, the best parts of the book were her memories of life if Iran. It seems very culturally colorful. These parts of the book reminded me of a movie I saw a while back called "Children of Heaven." I don't remember if I saw it at the BYU International Cinema, but it is a fantastic movie that opened my eyes to Iranian culture. The country and the people are not full of conspiracy and hatred as some might have us believe.
I thought the ending was good. It seemed artsy, like the ending of a foreign film.
Well, that's it for this book.
I finished East of Eden. Can't wait to discuss it. Maybe I'll rent the movie to tide me over.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment