I generally like central Missouri, except summers: hot, humid, plenty of ticks.
I miss California, except for budget shortfalls and crazy politics, and it was in a way fun to read this book and catch the names of somewhat familiar places.
I finished the book a couple of months ago and didn't write anything down as I was listening to it while I worked in the yard, walked the dog, etc. Though I do remember more of this book that I do of Grapes of Wrath, I don't have any worthwhile excerpts that I could quote.
I really enjoyed reading it, except some of the descriptions of Kate's vulgarness. Steinbeck is a master storyteller. His descriptions of people/places/events came across as very natural, as though they would be the words that would scroll across my mind if I were watching the story. Though Steinbeck is not quite as masterful as Tolkein in being able to tell a story with effective brevity, I felt as though he was able to keep the story flowing.
The character Kate reminded me somewhat of Benjamin Linus from the series LOST. She is a dangerously clever individual who is able to think several steps ahead of everyone, but ultimately she gets caught in her own game.
On the topic of Karl's first point, I agree and disagree. Karl says that Lee's take on timshel "ignores the role of Christ in overcoming sin, and places all of the responsibility of overcoming sin on the individual." Perhaps I am misunderstanding Karl's interpretation of the novel's commentary, but I believe that the Plan of Salvation truly tells us - "thou mayest." The only certainty is Christ. We will all be resurrected, and we all have the opportunity to accept the Savior's atonement and offer a proper sacrifice of our own will, but it is not a certainty. Despite everything Heavenly Father offers me, I may or I may not accept it.
But of course, Lee doesn't express it quite that way in the book (at least from what I can remember, I'd have to go back and look). Nevertheless, I remember my feeling as I listened to Lee while I washed the dinner dishes; timshel is a wonderful truth.
Thanks, Karl for getting me to read this book, and for initiating a good discussion. And congrats on the house. I look forward to seeing before and after photos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment