I enjoyed reading East of Eden and I have to confess that I had never read Steinbeck before...nope, not even Grapes of Wrath. (That is Idaho education for ya)
Steinbeck had great character developement. There were characters I loved, some that I hated, many I related to, and some that simply disturbed me. I can see why this book was of "moral concern" when it was originally published in the early 50's. A few seasons of Law & Order SVU will pretty much desensitize a fellow.
I don't know that I have anything brilliant to say about the book. I expected the Genesis analogy to be more difficult to extract from the abstract, but it was pretty straight forward. I read reviews of the book after I finished it just to make sure there wasn't something I missed.
The prinicple of "thou mayest" struck a chord with me and fit perfectly into my understanding of agency. As Karl said, the role of a merciful Savior is essential for us to overcome justice.
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment