Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Glenn's thoughts on Millet's book

I really enjoyed the posts from you guys. I considered your comments and had drafted some responses to them, but that draft disappeared. If I find it someday I may post it. For now I will share with you things that I took note of during the first part of the book. Before I do so, let me just say that I was surprised when I started into the book, how general and broadly applicable the ideas were. I was expected Bro. Millet to say, "Now, when you get asked this by your non-member co-worker, this is what you should say." It's true that the book does contain some of that in later chapters, some of which I found interesting, some of which I have already forgotten. The most useful thing in the book, in my opinion, is that he suggests how to answer a question rather than trying to give us a script to use when answering a question. Teach them correct principles ...

Here are some quotes about faith and testimony that resonate with me, and are of value to me, especially since burying myself in research:

"A testimony is not something you either have or do not have. Rather, it is an impression of the Spirit about the truthfulness of eternal things, an inner awareness that ranges along a spiritual continuum from a simple peaceful feeling to a perfect knowledge" - pg 30

"I believe because of the epiphanies, small and large, that have intersected my path -- small discrete moments of grace when I have sensed a kind of superinteding presence outside of myself. I believe because these moments ... are too precious to discard, and I choose not to trivialize them by reducing them to rational explanation. I believe because, for me, the alternative to belief is far too daunting." - pg 34


I finished Complications this morning. I will read through Doug's post and try to get something equally worthwhile up here soon.

No comments: