Friday, December 18, 2009

The road, the man, and life

Some belated thoughts on the road:

I listened to this while on the road from Vegas to SLC. It was a dreary day, and the landscape through Nevada is very post-apocalyptic. Then the whole family got sick. I had a temporarily deep voice, and found myself talking like the narrator's voice for the man.

It made me think how even in the face of death (you ARE dying), we strive to live. Why? I don't think it's the fear of death—I'm not really scared of death, but I do want to live. Mostly because I enjoy life. I don't know if I would have this same desire if life weren't enjoyable. Because I really believe the next life is a continuation of this, often I find myself thinking, "oh, it would be okay if I died." I'm sure I would feel differently if I were the only source of protection for my children. It seemed the man had a stronger desire to live. It sure wasn't for himself, it was definitely to take care of the boy.

But the movie looks too scary for me.

No comments: