Greetings and salutations! I just got back (about an hour ago) from Southern California. I attended a stats conference in San Diego, where I had the chance to visit with the one and only Christopher Beesley. While he claims to have gained and lost a lot of weight, he still looks like the same Christopher we all know and love, with the addition of a few gray hairs and perhaps even more solid muscle.
The gray hairs likely come from being bishop and having to preside over 20 funerals in 4 years. Incredibly, Christopher is bishop of the ward he grew up in, and he appears to love every minute of it. I think he secretly gets the most joy out of the combination of bishop and ward music chair and ward organist, which allows him to move back and forth between the pulpit and the organ requiring the ward to sing whatever hymn suits his fancy.
Christopher and his amazing wife, Mary, were incredibly accommodating, feeding us, chauffeuring us around town, and even giving us their guest passes to the San Diego Zoo. Their four kids (ages 2 to 11) are all well-behaved and appear to be quite smart. No surprise there.
Christopher shared the story of his faith and bravery in following a prompting that led to his dream job of playing Javert, and prosecuting criminals (or at least shooting down their appeals) from the comfort of his desk. At night he sits on the board of directors of his children's German immersion school. I tried working on getting him to participate in the PVS book club, but he has some legitimate claims on his free time.
I am so grateful to Christopher for his help this last week and for his example of happy service, self-discipline, and seeking after things that are good and praiseworthy. I'm also grateful for a network of friends around the country.
With all of that preamble, I would like to take the initiative to choose a new book.
I've really enjoyed some of Christensen's talks/articles, and I've been waiting to get this book from the library for a long time. Before it came, my mom sent me a copy in the mail saying she wants all of her children to read it. I think it has advice for your careers as well as your personal life, so I think it would be great for even you really busy people.
Can we kick the discussion off on Labor Day weekend? Is that too soon? Let me know if you want more time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm very glad that you got to visit with Christopher. It sounds like the Beesley's are doing well.
As good as your book suggestion sounds, I don't think I will be able to ready to discuss by Labor day. This month will be a little busy: girl number five due to be born this week, packing, finding a place to live, moving, signing papers with the new home owners, nailing down a job, and finding some time to finish up the writing for my dissertation. It's like a perfect storm of stress.
That being said, I anticipate that I could use some of the wisdom in the book.
Post a Comment