Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Righteous Mind and Measuring Your Life

I've requested How Will You Measure Your Life from my local library, but I don't think it'll be available for another few weeks. Maybe Jesse would be willing to drop by Brother Christensen's house and get the inside story on the book, for those who aren't able/planning to read it.

I did just finish an interesting book called The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion. The author, Jonathan Haidt is a Professor of Psychology at UVA. His research has focused on how we make moral decisions, and he summarizes what he's learned in his career. It's fairly standard social science written for a broad audience.

The three core principles he attempts to establish are:
- Moral 'reasoning' is really moral intuition followed by logical justification, which is why debate and dialogue so seldom sway people's opinions.
- Our moral senses have many dimensions, but (industrialized, Western, educated) society only recognizes a few as valid bases for moral judgements.
- While we usually consider moral judgements individually, occasionally we can be turned to a 'hive' view, with a more group-level perspective.

In all, I found a lot of the book to match very well with my own feelings about how and what we choose to value, as individuals and as a society. I particularly liked Haidt's attempt to broaden the moral matrix (2nd point above); this is something I think rationalists in both parties largely neglect. Liberal (or libertarian) legal justification admits only 'harm' as a valid mechanism for determining whether something is 'right'. Haidt began his research by relating stories to college students, narratives which most people would agree were 'wrong', but which couldn't be categorized as such by an appeal to them having caused harm. Repeatedly, students would attempt to introduce new elements into the narrative, in order to inject some harm, in order to provide what they felt was a justifiable reason for finding the behavior in the narrative immoral. Haidt's prescription, and I think I agree with him, is that we should recognize that our moral vision is much broader than can be encompassed by the concept of harm, and that we should be moral 'pluralists' in the sense of recognizing the varied mechanisms by which we deem things 'immoral'.

To that end, Haidt established a website called yourmorals.org. You can go and register to participate in a variety of questionnaire-based studies. The primary study, called the 'Moral Foundations Questionnaire', asks you to rate how much or little you take various things into account when making a moral decision, and then provides a personalized 'rating' based on five moral dimensions identified by Haidt's research, as well as providing comparison to the average ratings for self-identifying liberals and conservatives. You should all go do it; it doesn't take long and I think it can provide interesting insight. Here are my scores:

Harm - 2.7
Fairness - 2.8
Loyalty - 3.3
Authority - 3.5
Purity - 3.3

3 comments:

Jesse said...

Ok, it appears I just plain don't have any morals:

Harm - 2.7
Fairness - 1.8
Loyalty - 1.5
Authority - 1.5
Purity - 1.2

Maybe this means I really need to read Clayton's book?

Tammy and Alvin said...

Harm - 2.5
Fairness - 1.7
Loyalty - 3.0
Authority - 3.0
Purity - 3.2

I have no idea what any of these numbers mean, though I'm bothered that the world values fairness more than purity.

Although I initially suggested Labor Day weekend to begin discussion of Clayton's book, I'm postponing that time table until the end of Sept, so I can take my time reading it out loud with Tammy.

Peter said...

FYI, Jesse, Haidt got a write-up in Reason a couple years ago. In it, Ronald Bailey says, "[L]ibertarians scored low on all five surveyed moral dimensions." Your 'harm' dimension seems a bit higher than the standard libertarian and your 'fairness' dimension a bit low, but the overall lowness of the scores is consistent with a libertarian ideology.

As for you, Alvin, we're pretty similar on all the dimensions other than 'fairness'. Hmmm...I wonder if that extends to 'fair play'. Maybe that explains your UNO dominance; fairness just wasn't on your moral radar ;)