Peter,
I've been meaning to respond to your power post for a while, and what better time than on your birthday. I thought it was quite interesting, and I started to scheme up ways to become more powerful. Then I remembered what I learned from being President of Merrill Hall, namely that I really have no interest in power. But still, the post was thought provoking and I hope that others will post interesting things that they learn. My other question with regard to the post is if a person's power and leadership qualities should have any bearing in an election. Is it OK/good/bad to vote for the better leader even if I fundamentally disagree with his/her policies? What if I fundamentally disagree with both candidates' policies?
I'm sure everyone will be happy to know that I actually finished a book. It's next month's book and only because it was on audio. (I'm looking forward to the discussion.) However, Peter, I am on page 184 of your book, and I fully intend to finish it even though it will probably be after you start this discussion sometime this week. I also finished Season 2 of Lost.
Other things I've been meaning to say:
Jesse, you really need to finish the post that's been sitting in the draft section for months, so I can comment on it.
Karl, I have a cousin on a mission in Poland, Elder Hughes, if your brother ever runs into him.
Everybody, I said in an earlier post that I would disregard the Prophet's counsel to vote for the marriage amendment. I regretted it as soon as I posted it. My post was poorly reasoned. I won't rehash everything right now, but I had to clarify that and get that off my chest.
Well PBJ, I hope you have a fabulous day. If you ever want to be roommates again, you can always bring your family and live in my basement. I hope you include this blog on your list of great accomplishments during the last year. You rock!
Alvin
PS Sorry I don't know anyone else's birthday (except Paul's, which I missed in May), but if you want to tell me your birthday (vanordens@gmail.com), I'd be happy to write you a birthday post or email.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for the birthday wishes, ACVO. I did have a happy birthday (although my biggest present was a visit from the boiler guy. I can either pay him $500 to replace our broken circulator, or $5000 to replace the whole boiler).
On the subject of power, I think the decision of whom to vote for is a multi-objective optimization problem. You certainly want someone who is persuasive (powerful) if you agree with their policies. You want someone who is morally grounded to make good decisions in unforeseen circumstances. You want someone who is a good administrator, someone who has a keen intellect, someone with the perfect balance of reasoning, compassion, strength and perspective. You want someone like you, but the best "you" you can imagine. And therein lies the rub; if someone is the best almost you, or someone is the almost best you, which do you choose. Someone who represents your views more precisely, or someone who represents the views they hold very well. All very difficult. FWIW, Joe Nye, when asked the question of which candidate we should support if we care about "soft power," said that both had shown themselves remarkably adept at all forms of power, and that both were honorable and good people.
In the end, I'm pretty ambivalent about the whole thing this time around. I follow it avidly, but really I'm more concerned that my town recently instituted mandatory full day kindergarten (at an annual fee of $860, levied against all parents with children attending the required class). Outrageous!
Post a Comment