Well everyone, welcome to the New Year (and a New World, if your part of the breathless Obamadoration; not that there's anything wrong with that).
I'm enjoying John Barleycorn at the moment; should finish by the weekend. Alvin and Glenn have now each chosen two books; of the original PVS book club contributors, that leaves Karl, Jesse, Paul, and me to choose in the second round. If there are other PVS readers who'd like to choose a book, let me know (either by email or through the comments) and I'll slot you in.
I don't know when everyone will be ready to discuss John Barleycorn; I would propose we try to get back to the once a month schedule, and hence have Glenn post his thoughts around the beginning of February. Also, due to the occasional lateness of book selection last time around, I'd recommend that the book be announced for the following month no later than one month in advance. So, once I flip my random coin, whoever the chosen one is for next month will have until Feb 1 to select a book.
So, here goes the randomization algorithm...
And the order of selection is Jesse (March), me (April), Paul (May), Karl (June). If that's a problem for anyone, let me know.
Oh, and I'm just remembering that a couple of people wanted to invite spouses to participate in the symposium. I think anyone who wants to should feel free to invite their spouse; you can send an invitation by clicking on "Sign In" -> Settings -> Permissions -> Add Authors.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Anyone want to switch with me? Our baby is due in June and I can't guarantee that I'll be able to lead a coherent book discussion at that time.
As an aside, I don't know about you, but I was severely disappointed that the streets weren't paved with gold when I woke up yesterday. Maybe I should ask for my vote back.
You know, on the one hand, the "Obamadoration" of the last few days was out of control. In spite of having slight tendencies towards Obamadoration myself, the 24-7 coverage made me nauseous. On the other hand, I think it's encouraging that society now selects celebrities from the ranks of people with doctoral degrees from Ivy League schools, instead of just focusing on people who know how to throw a ball through a hoop, pretend they're someone else, or lie about committing a crime.
I'd be glad to swap with you Karl, since our baby is due in April and I can't promise to lead a coherent discussion that month (although I, at least, was willing to give it a shot ;) )
BTW, we had a nice visit with Becky (Karl's sister, for the uninitiated) last week. I hope she decides to accept the job offer from Lincoln; it'd be cool having her in my group at work.
Yes, I suppose I'm weak for being unwilling to try. But, well, I have a hard enough time luring myself away from playing...er, working...so that I can finish the books as it is. So I suppose it's a done deal, then. I'll take April, Peter will take June.
I hadn't heard the offer was official, but I think she's leaning that way over the other Boston offer. Of course, I'm rooting for her to get a last second San Jose offer so that I can still have a free babysitter, but I suppose her having a job is better than her not having one.
Post a Comment