Hi guys! I have Facebook to thank for finding Alvin, who pointed me to the site. I have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and updates. It's amazing how 1 year together has translated into a lasting comraderie. I'm glad to take part. So here's me...Family - I married Becky Payne December 18, 1998; 3 months after getting off the mission. It's been a great decade since then. The kids are 7, 5, 3, and 7 months. They're a lot of fun.
Calling - Ward Organist and Perpetual Nursery Worker. None of my kids has been through nursery without my having been the teacher.
Job - Currently a first-year medical intern; Five years of radiology training is forthcoming.
Geolocation - Columbus, Ohio since 2004; will be Durham, NC until 2014.
Last 13 years in 100 words or less: I finished freshman year and moved back to my hometown for one last summer of work and wooing Becky before heading on my mission to Paris, France. (I did have Ryan Larsen as my zone leader for a few months while I was in the office.) As mentioned, I was married 3 months after the mission and back at BYU.
I graduated from BYU in Chemical Engineering , and took a job in Portland Oregon with Intel. I worked in their manufacturing branch on flash memory for cell phones, then later with the Pentium 4 when it was new. Sometime in there, I decided that medicine was really what I wanted to do with my life, so after 3 years we moved out to Columbus for medical school at Ohio State. Besides developing an understanding of what true college sports fanatacism is, I got a good medical education.
I now find myself at the end of the "intern" year, grateful for the legislation of an 80-hour workweek. I don't know how this was done by earlier physicians, at least not by those with a family. I will be moving in July to Durham, NC for Radiology training at Duke University. I have a 5-year course of study at Duke.
More About Me: In my luscious amounts of free time, I still get out for the occasional run, or spend some time at the piano. Our family enjoys road trips and visiting family and friends. Oh, and treats with Family Home Evening.
2 comments:
Doug-
Welcome to the PVS! Great to hear from you. I can't imagine starting a successful career in engineering, only to opt for the 10-year indentured servitude of medical school, internship and residency. But you sound very dedicated, and I'm sure it was the right choice (for you; God forfend me from such choices).
I'll slot you in after Bob for choosing the book of the month. I think that'll put you as the discussion lead in September.
P.S.- Today is the 1 year anniversary of the start of the PVS. Happy inception day, everyone!
My old roomie is online with us! Sweet! Good to hear from you Doug!
Post a Comment