I'd like some input on September's book. I have three possibilities in mind:
1) Most preferred: Andrew Skinner's Temple Worship: 20 Truths that will Bless Your Life. I took a class on Jerusalem from Dr. Skinner and found him insightful. The drawback of this option is I doubt anyone could get it through their library system.
2) Second preferred: Fareed Zakaria's Post-American World. I find Zakaria to be a very insightful voice with regards to foreign policy. This is a recent book, and so is probably in high demand in local library systems. I've got a request in, but don't imagine I'll see the book for at least several weeks.
3) Least preferred (but still a great option): JFK's Profiles in Courage. Although it was evidently ghostwritten by an adviser, I've found the vignettes of US Statesmen who stand up for what they believe in regardless of consequences to be inspiring in a Mr. Smith Goes to Washington way.
If I get no input I'll probably choose the first. If anyone doesn't feel that's feasible, let me know (either in the comments or private email) and I'll choose one of the other two.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Post-American World! I think your evil plot was to pick a churchy and two politic books, hoping that everyone would be sick of politics. However, reviews of Zacharia's book look REALLY intriguing.
I'd be okay with buying the Temple book if you would recommend it as a gift for my folks.
I read Profiles in Courage about 6 years ago. While I don't remember too many details about the book, I do remember feeling inspired and uplifted by the book. As a warning, it did cause me to look at some of the politicians of that time and think, "Why can't they be more like the individuals in this book?"
Also, JFK's daughter, Caroline Bouvier Kennedy, wrote a book titled: Profiles in Courage for Our Time. I don't know how it compares to the original.
Post a Comment