Tuesday, August 26, 2008

October's book(s)

The book that has been at or near the top of what I would like to read again is a book that is described by some as a science fiction mystery comedy Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Yes, it is more British comedy, but the humor is less obscure than 3rd policeman, and it is quite cleverly written (or at least it was 6 years ago when I read it).
Now, for non-fiction that I would like to read, we have The Film Club. A book that I haven't read simply because it I am still on the wait list at the library, but it sounds interesting.
The alternate for the fiction team is Year of Wonders, 'cause I like infectious disease. And the alternate for the non-fiction squad is Joseph Smith: Presidential Candidate, due to the fact that I plan on doing a fireside in October, looking at how Joseph Smith's candidacy might provide insight into Obama and McCain.
So, share your thoughts either as a comment or as an email to glennjamen@gmail.com
I will consider strong opinions, availability in local libraries, and whether you have previously read it and never want to crack the book again, but remember I have the final say. AHHHH, the POWER!!

2 comments:

karlrees said...

As a Douglas Adams fan, I have no problems with Dirk Gently. The Hitchhikers Trilogy is his better book, but at least the first Dirk Gently book was pretty high up there on my list of favorites. I'd love an excuse to revisit it.

Joseph Smith: Presidential Candidate would also be a fascinating read.

Peter said...

I *almost* chose Geraldine Brooks' March as my book. I think Year of Wonders would by my first choice. After that I'd be pretty ambivalent among the other three, with perhaps a slight preference for The Film Club.