Sunday, June 29, 2008

Progressive Taxes

As I promised Alvin, here’s my explanation of what I don’t like about Ron Paul’s platform. As I have already explained, I believe that there are a large number of roles that government should serve, in aggregate requiring a much larger government than Ron Paul would like. I won’t bore everyone with another discussion of that.

In addition to the issue of the role of government, I also disagree with his position on how the costs of government should be apportioned—i.e. taxes. So, for the rest of this post, I’ll make the case for highly progressive taxes (not so much that there’s a complete redistribution of wealth, mind you).

1. The greater your wealth, the more you’ve benefitted from the American system

I believe people should be taxed in proportion to the benefit they’ve received from the American system. But wait, you may argue, don’t the poor receive more welfare services, and therefore don’t they benefit more? I disagree. This argument first of all characterizes benefits as zero-sum. But I believe that every American benefits from such services—e.g. businesses benefit by having healthy, effective workers who aren’t constantly worrying about paying doctors bills or having a roof over their heads, markets benefit consumers who can spend money buying goods instead of on basic necessities, motorists benefit from mass-transit programs by having less crowded roads, land values benefit because the homeless have somewhere to go so where they don’t create a public nuisance, and so on.

Or, put another way, to determine the benefit each American receives from the American system, one must ask how much of their wealth would exist but for the American system. Think about the impact of stable markets, police forces, protected property rights, intellectual property rights, military forces, freedom of choice (particularly from a consumption standpoint), freedom of speech, and so on in creating an environment in which Americans may accrue wealth. Clearly, all Americans benefit from this system, but a wealthy person has likely benefitted much more from the system than a homeless person.

2. Some wealth must be redistributed to correct deficiencies of free markets

Just a short point, but still important. Employers should have to pay for hidden costs, such as pollution, healthcare and other necessities that keep their workforce alive and so on. Yet, so few do. See my discussion of free markets.

3. Some wealth must be redistributed to overthrow the tyranny of wealth

Obviously, wealth confers great economic power. Nor would I doubt that anyone would argue that economic power translates into political power. Is there any difference between having that kind of power vested in a monarchy and having that kind of power vested in an upper class smaller than it has been in who knows how long? Or, perhaps even more applicable to today’s world, should we allow large global corporations to govern over us? Take, for example, the power of global oil corporations, which, in the interests of preserving their own wealth/power, have for decades now translated their wealth into a political force for unnaturally suppressing the demand for clean, renewable energy, even though clean, renewable energy clearly would bring great benefit to the American people.

4. Some wealth must be redistributed to ensure that America remains a land of opportunity

I believe that the highly progressive taxes present in the middle of the last century served a purpose that “free land” once served for America—giving people a chance to build wealth from scratch. But now, with the wealth increasingly concentrated in the hands of the few, it is becoming increasingly hard for certain segments of the population to create wealth.

Though America is still a system where those born into poverty can escape it, it is a system where increasingly few actually do escape it because escape is just so difficult. We watch movies like "The Pursuit of Happyness" and feel good inside that we live in a land where people can pull themselves up by the bootstrap, but we deceive ourselves into thinking that everyone can do what Will Smith (I mean the character played by Will Smith, of course) did. Personally, I don't know if I'd be able to do what he did, if I were in the same shoes.

Taxing the wealthy to provide services to make it easier to escape poverty would ensure that America does not cease to be a land of opportunity for those who are in poverty. And as I stated before, this is not a zero-sum proposition. When we increase the standard of living for the least of us, we benefit all Americans.

1 comment:

Tammy and Alvin said...

Karl,

I whole-heartedly agree with point #2 (you made a lot of very good points in your previous comment on free markets) and this should not be underestimated. I somewhat agree with points 1,3, and 4. There are clearly positive benefits to taxation. At the same time there are clearly negative benefits to over-taxation. For example, when taxes get too high rich people will put there money in inefficient tax shelters just to avoid paying taxes. Also, taxation can ruin the incentive to make more money/be more productive. This disincentive to be productive can happen to rich people who face huge tax burdens and to poor people who are better off without a job than with a job. (Note: My brother has 4 kids and went back for a PhD at the UofU. He says he'd have to make over $60,000 a year to enjoy the same standard of living he enjoys now as a TA getting free food stamps, pre-kindergarten care, etc. Of course, my brother expects to make more than 60K so he still has the incentive to go and be productive, but some people don't.)

Now, in theory the government could do a lot of great things with our tax dollars, but as often than not, I think I'd rather see Bill Gates spend his own money to save the world as let the government spend his money. I also think the belief that "if the government doesn't do it than no one will" is just wrong.

The above comments are more to balance what you've said previously because while agree with a lot of what you've said, I don't think it's a simple issue. Most of all I'd like to be able to trust my government with my money, and I think that should begin with the government living within the budget they have. Would you give your credit card to a notorious free spender? Personally, I don't believe in giving the government more until they show they can use what they have responsibly, and neither party has shown that.