Sunday, June 22, 2008

Things are gonna change, I can feel it

(The title, by the way, originates from song lyrics that just popped into my head, and though I am actually for the first time in my post-Republican life "proud of my country"--er, perhaps I shouldn't quote candidates wives--rather, I mean to say optimistic that positive change in politics is possible, I by no means feel that change is inevitable).

Paul, I agree with almost everything you're saying except, particularly with regards to the increasing ineffeciency of our two-party system over the last few decades. Too many people treat politics as entertainment. Parties are like sports teams. People follow them without questioning their agendas. In fact, as you and Jesse both note, the parties seem to dictate most people's politics.

However, I don't agree with your skepticism about the parties being vehicles for change, partly because I don't see any other force capable of effecting change. But, more importantly, I believe we are currently witnessing a reclamation of the parties by the people. Both candidates are, in many ways, outsiders to their own parties. The old guards of neither party "wanted" their candidates--but the people have spoken.

Regarding your request for opinions into the judiciary, perhaps you should propose a more specific topic, because I could go on for a while. However, I should say that there two types of comments about the judiciary that bug me--(1) any comment that that includes the phrase "legislating from the bench"--if you want to say that you don't agree with an interpretation put forth by the court, that's fine, but the judiciary does not legislate; (2) any comment that suggests that any judge is somehow in the pocket of one party or another.

As for Jesse, I'm really looking forward to a good discussion about free markets.

No comments: