Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Symposium in the forefront

I've enjoyed following the discussion that's been going on "behind the scenes" with the comments to Scotty's background post (though if everyone is receiving email updates of comments, then I guess it's not really behind the scenes).

As we wait for members to digest the current reading for the bookclub, I thought I would bring the virtual symposium to the forefront of the blog.

Now I realize many of you enjoy politics and stuff, but during my moments of solitude and introspection there are usually other things that get mulled about.

During one of these recent sessions, I was at my cousin's apartment. I reached for the toilet paper only to realize with horror that there was no roll suspended from the wall's toilet paper hanger. Just as I was about to call for help in this foreign privy, I noticed an extra-large roll of two-ply quilted salvation sitting on the sink counter.
The danger was averted, but it got me to thinking, why was the TP on the counter? I looked at the hanger, which was the type that is recessed into the wall, and realized that the dimension of the box in which the toilet paper hanger was housed was no match for the diameter of the oversized roll.
Why was that? Did "they" not have big rolls of toilet paper whenever that apartment was built? Did people not use as much toilet paper way back when? Have we become so influenced by SUVs, that even our toilet paper has to be bigger (ok, so some potential political fodder is possible here)? It is very possible that this particular paper product was purchased at a membership based bulk warehouse store, where everything is, well, bulky.
Why have toilet paper rolls gotten bigger over time?
Discuss.

2 comments:

karlrees said...

You know, I've never thought about this. Being a person of privilege, with luxuriously large toilet paper dispensers, it's simply not my problem. Heck, I deserve supersized toilet paper. Who cares if someone like your cousin has to put their toilet paper on a counter? Bigger is always better. :)

Glennjamen said...

And now, the rest of the story...

After I left the loo, I asked my cousin if it was annoying having to put the toilet paper up on the sink because the apartment was built for smaller necessities. "Oh, actually, we keep it up there so that Sai (his 18 month old son) doesn't play with it"
Mystery unravelled.